Main results to be achieved by the project activities:
The results to be achieved by i9Kiwi have a strong component of innovation and internationalization through the development and introduction of new products on the market as well as through the implementation of new processes.
i9Kiw thus aims to respond to existing and transversal gaps in the kiwifruit industry, through the dissemination and demonstration of processes and products aimed at minimizing the risk of Psa dispersion and mitigation of its effects, identifying actinid varieties adapted to regional soil and climate conditions, selected through their best productive performance and resistance/tolerance to Psa, and increasing productivity by obtaining quality pollen and more efficient application methods.
95% of the kiwifruit chain is represented in i9Kiwi so the results obtained will be widely disseminated. As the consortium is composed of more than 50% SMEs, the results will have a real impact on the increase of productivity and the reduction of production costs.
- Mapping of major producing regions based on abiotic and biotic factors. Implementation of programmes that identify the most vulnerable regions based on predicted direct and indirect effects of abiotic and biotic factors.
- Use of Psa antagonists with the possibility of being used in a real context.
- Potentiation of the plant's immune system with the possibility of application in a real context.
- Identification of natural reservoirs of Psa whose management will be included in the Technical Manual.
- Creation of a culture collection of microorganisms with high innovative potential that could be tested for their activity as antagonists/activators in other phytosanitary contexts.
Identification of varieties adapted to the soil and climate conditions of the two main producing regions, Entre Douro e Minho and Beira Litoral, with high productive capacity and resistance/tolerance to Psa.
Innovative pollen application methods adapted to the national context (size of the parecells, edapho-climatic conditions, pergola vs. cruzeta, etc).
- Production and dissemination of the Technical Manual with management measures.
- Demonstration actions for the three focal groups identified, Producers, Technicians and Nurserymen.
- Holding annual Technical Seminars.
- Publication of scientific and technical articles.
- Participation in congresses, seminars and fairs.
- Holding a congress to disseminate results at the end of the project.